Featured image is Fantasy Ops by Ariel Flores
Step 1 – Choose a Heritage
Your heritage will dictate many of your PC’s base Abilities, Aspect choices, Number of Skills, beginning Power selections, and other features called Traits.
Step 2 – Determine Abilities
Your Abilities are determined by your starting Heritage. Here’s how it shapes out:
- Humans and Evoluu**Choose one Ability to be Poor (1), Average (2), and Good (3)
- BEs and AIsYou have 7 points to spend on Abilities. No Ability can be below a 1.
- Grigori-touched*Choose one Ability to be Great (4) and two to be Average (2)
- Nephalim-born*You have a Great (4) Physical Ability, an Average (2) Ability, and a Poor (1) Ability.
Step 3 – Determine Aspects
As stated earlier Aspects are derived from a PCs Abilities. So when a player initially chooses a PC’s Aspect during character creation that Aspect starts at the Ability score +1, i.e. if the base Ability is 3, then the Aspect is initially a 4.
- Humans – Choose any five Aspects. If they choose one Aspect in Arcane they will receive an additional +1 to that Aspect.
- Evoluu** – Choose any five Aspects. If they choose one Aspect in Nature they will receive an additional +1 to that Aspect. After choosing 5 Aspects they may choose to give another +1 (mutation) to any Aspect.
- BE – Choose Aspects based on the type of “build.”
- Soldier Build – Strength, Agility, Stamina, Acuity
- Brainiac Build – Agility, Intellect, Acuity, Willpower
- Companion Build – Agility, Stamina, Acuity, Willpower
- AI – Choose any four Aspects under Physical and Mental Attributes.
- Grigori-touched* – Choose any five Aspects. If they choose one Aspect in Divine they will receive an additional +1 to that Aspect.
- Nephalim-born* – Choose any five Aspects. If they choose one Aspect in Nature they will receive an additional +1 to that Aspect.
Step 4 – Determine Skills***
Skills are all assigned to different Aspects. As stated earlier a PC cannot have a skill if it does not have the corresponding Aspect. No skill may be above Advanced during character creation. Here are how many skills each heritage allows:
- Humans – Choose 2 Advanced Skills and 6 Basic Skills, or 3 Advanced Skills and 4 Basic Skills.
- Evoluu** – Choose 2 Advanced Skills and 5 Basic Skills.
- BE – Choose Skills based on the type of “build.”
- Soldier Build – 2 Combat Advanced Skills, 2 Combat Basic Skills, and 2 other Basic Skills.
- Brainiac Build – 2 Studious Advanced Skills, 2 Studious Basic Skills, and 2 other Basic Skills.
- Companion Build – 2 Social Advanced Skills, 2 Social Basic Skills, and 2 other Basic Skills.
- AI – Choose 2 Advanced Skills, and 4 Basic Skills.
- Grigori-touched* – Choose 1 Advanced Skill, and 5 Basic Skills.
- Nephalim-born* – Choose 2 Physical Advanced Skills, and 4 other Basic Skills.
The Skill section will need further explanation and a list and description of the Skills available to choose in the game. I will likely dedicate a post to just Skills.
Step 5 – Determine Powers
Powers is going to be an expansive section. Depending upon the direction a player wants to take with their PC will play heavily into their choice of powers. A magic wielder will probably take magic Powers, while a combat specialist will likely take combat Powers, or a scientist will likely take Powers based around non-combat Skill focused Powers. A PC will start with 3 Powers and always have 3 Powers. But those 3 Powers are not static, they can be upgraded (or changed altogether) through spending experience that PCs will gain during play. I will likely dedicate at least one post just to Powers.
Step 6 – Determine Traits (other Heritage special features)
Traits are additional Heritage features that do not fit under other specific areas. I still haven’t fully thought this through yet, but I want to include some stuff here especially for those Heritages that have not yet seen a clear advantage in another section.
Step 7 – Determine Equipment
Picking equipment will be an important step in a sci-fi setting. But it will be most important to AIs, and they will get one free level 1 cybernetic enhancement during character creation. No other PC will have that option at character creation.
Step 8 – Name PC, describe basic appearance, PC backstory, etc.
*Updated 11-12-2018 – Changed Lesser Nephalim to Nephalim-born and Lesser Grigori to Grigori-touched*
**Updated 11-21-2018 – Changed Remnant to Evoluu**
***Updated 11-22-2018 – updated Skill selection options***